Oral Health in Coral Springs
Your dentist can help you achieve and maintain a healthy smile that will serve you for life. At Diaz Smile, our family dentistry services include exams and cleanings, dental fillings, root canal treatment, and orthodontics near Coral Springs. Our dentist also specializes in dentures, dental implants, and cosmetic dentistry solutions so you can enjoy the foods you love and a smile that looks its best.
The Basics of General Dentistry
General dentistry is an important factor in your overall health and appearance. A healthy smile not only looks great, it also contributes to lifelong wellness.
- General dentistry focuses on the health of your teeth, gums, jaws, and face. Good oral health has been linked with improved general health, as well as a reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
- Family and general dentistry focus on preventing and treating oral disease by determining your unique health needs and concerns. You and your dentist will work together to develop an ongoing maintenance and treatment plan for every member of your family.
- Regular dental exams are the best way to ensure continuing oral health. Your dentist can catch signs of early tooth decay or gum disease to treat these problems in their earliest stages, before extensive or permanent damage occurs.
- Some chronic diseases, including diabetes and kidney failure, can manifest changes in your dental health. Your dentist can even discover signs of these other health conditions during your exams before you experience more traditional symptoms.
General Dental Services
- Root Canals – Tooth pain and sensitivity might be a sign that you need a root canal. In a root canal procedure, we can remove diseased tissue from a tooth and stop the spread of infection, therefore saving the tooth.
- Porcelain Crowns – You can have a new smile with all-porcelain crowns (empressed material) on the anterior teeth. For the posterior, we use porcelain fused to metal.
- Periodontal Treatment – You should have a standard cleaning at least twice a year. A periodontal treatment includes an Adult Prophy (basic cleaning). If it has been over a year since your last cleaning, possible treatment will include either Periodontal Scaling (deeper) or Root Planning and Scaling (requires anesthetic).
- TMJ – Displacement of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is painful and can cause permanent damage. Have a dentist monitor any displacement of your jaw joints.
- Mouth Guards – Whether you are an athlete or casual sports participant, you should wear a mouth guard to protect your teeth. If you grind your teeth while you sleep, a bite guard will help reduce symptoms of TMJ. We custom make mouth guards in both soft and hard materials.
Signs You Should Visit Your Dentist
- Tooth pain that persists for more than 24 hours is a good sign that you should contact your dentist. Especially if pain is severe or interferes with your daily activities, you may need professional dental care to address its cause.
- Gums that bleed during flossing and brushing are often one of the first signs of gum disease. This condition can put your oral health at risk and will only worsen without professional dental care; if you notice blood when brushing your teeth for more than a day or two, give your dental office a call.
- Bad breath can be a sign of a dental problem or even chronic disease. Contact your dentist for an oral exam if you’ve been struggling with bad breath or a persistent bad taste in your mouth.
Biannual dental checkups are an excellent preventive measure to protect your oral health. However, if you notice signs of trouble between regular visits, it’s also a good idea to call your dental office for an exam. You can find out more about family dentistry and emergency dental care near Coral Springs by calling Diaz Smile at (954) 755-1222.